First and foremost, if you have a mold concern in your home, we highly recommend contacting a licensed professional to identify the fungus. Although mold and mildew can look the same to an untrained eye, there are differences. The risk of having mold in your home could be harmful to you and your family’s health. This blog will inform you of the simple characteristics of mold and mildew, to know for sure if what you see in your home must be tested by a licensed professional.
- Mildew is typically white, gray or yellow and grows on the surface of moist, warm areas. Mildew also tends to be green or black, and usually grows underneath the surface of anything that has gotten wet.
- Mildew starts in a shady and moist area. For example, in your home, you could find it, in the bathroom or shower, behind the dishwasher. It is a surface fungus, so it grows on top of surfaces and has a gray or white color, but can later change to yellow, brown or even black.
- Mildew is not toxic and it can be easily removed by cleaning the infected area.
- Mold also grows in damp areas, but it is often the result of a more significant infestation that spreads from the surface and begins to grow inside and behind the material, like walls.
- Mold is usually fuzzy, although it can sometimes be slimy, and could grow in many colors including; black, white, brown, green, blue, yellow, and gray.
- Mold is usually responsible for many health problems, especially in children. Mold cannot be easily removed like mildew, because it will naturally grow back. This is way, mold should be removed by a licensed trained professional.
What’s worse: Mold or Mildew?
Mildew is not as troublesome as mold. Mold can create allergies, irritated eyes, asthma, headaches, and in some cases, lung issues could be the result of toxic mold that is breeding within your home.
Is mold common in NYC?
We have found countless mold problems in pre-war buildings in the Manhattan area, not to say it doesn’t exist in a newer building because it very well can. Remember the cause of mold is moister, that can come from a source. There are many misconceptions about mold; there are those that take it too lightly and others too seriously. Because of these misconceptions, it’s important to get the facts and let licensed professionals test the concerned area to know for sure, then make the proper action.
- Fixing all leaks
- Drying damp areas
- Removing humidity from the air. (For example, using a dehumidifier, cracking a window while taking a shower in bathrooms with no exhaust ventilation; or opening a window in the kitchen while cooking.)
If you have any questions or concerns of mold in your home we encourage you to call and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to look at your problem area.